WILLOWBROOK’S GREEN INITIATIVES
Willowbrook is committed to environmental sustainability and responsible property initiatives.
- Responsible Property Management: Willowbrook is certified BOMA BESt Level 4 by the Building Owners and Managers Association of BC, signifying excellence with key measures of environmental best practices.
- Healthy Environment: Preference is given to green cleaning products, incorporating drought-resistant plants and chemical reduction programs in landscaping, and reusing construction materials whenever possible.
- A Breath of Fresh Air: In addition to air quality testing, Willowbrook uses low-VOC emission products and utilizes landscaping that minimizes the use of herbicides. Additionally, janitorial vacuum cleaners are equipped with filters to help eliminate airborne contaminants.
- Powerful Thinking: To minimize energy usage, low watt lighting is used throughout the Centre and LED technology is utilized where possible. Lighting controls allow selective lighting of the Centre. HVAC systems are automatically controlled and energy efficient.
- Recycling: The centre has a material recycling/recovery program that includes paper, cardboard, cans, plastics, glass bottles, wood pallets, cooking oil, and landscape trimmings.
- Green Transportation Options: An electric charging station is available free of use and bike racks and on-site public transit stops are on-site. Hybrid and eco-friendly vehicle parking stalls are located in the parking lot.
- Working Together: Shoppers can join the Centre on green activities such as Earth Day and Earth Hour and take advantage of the eco-friendly Charity Gift Wrap Centre service during the holiday season.
- Reducing Carbon Footprint: The greening of the Centre is an on-going initiative which includes programs to address, track, and benchmark sustainability and GHG emissions.
The easiest way to support our planet is to shop responsibly – keeping in mind the environmental and social impacts of the items you buy. Here are some tips:
- Shop Local: Shop close to home. You’ll drive less and producing less environmental pollution. Plus, you will save gas and time waiting in traffic!
- Buy Locally Produced Products: Buy goods produced in BC. This saves on fuel for transporting goods. In addition, buying local means contributing to our local economy and jobs!
- Choose Reputable Brands: Support brands that support their workers and the environment
- Buy Long-Lasting Items: Whenever possible, buy long-lasting products over disposable products.
- Go for Recycled: Buy products with recycled content so fewer natural resources are used in production.
- Buy Natural: Purchase items made of natural ingredients. There are many on the market with earth-based origins.
- Choose Energy Efficient: Seek out electronic items that have energy-saving features.
- Go for Less Packaging: Buy in bulk, buy items with minimal packaging, and/or or packaging that can be recycled. Don’t forget to bring a reusable tote when shopping!
- Choose Clean: Purchase items that are manufactured with low energy and low emissions.